Friday 20 February 2015

Realising I Will Never Touch The Stars



I often find myself saying one simple line to answer certain questions – Never say never.  I am a firm believer in the thought that anything is possible.  How can you say now to what you do not know about tomorrow?  However, I am starting to realise that I will never touch the stars.  The thoughts I had growing up of being able to travel around in space to other worlds always excited me.  Seeing programmes on the TV like Star Trek and Stargate always kept me thinking that one day this could all be possible.  What I could not comprehend back then though was the time it would take to develop a new type of technology like this.  Something completely unknown being invented to propel man further and faster into space than previously achieved before. 

Whilst I have always realised that I would never really be traveling in space myself, it was more mankind as a collective breaking the boundaries and pressing on with discovery that tantalised my mind.  I would love to hear that a new type of spacecraft has been designed that will take a team to a distant earth like planet. I would then be waiting eagerly on the edge of my seat waiting for the results.

However, knowledge has grounded my thoughts of ambition.  Although I can still say that you can never say never, the fact of the matter is that technologically we are nowhere near even creating a prototype, ideas have floated around but at the moment the thought of traveling to a distant planet in a human’s lifetime is impossible.

I have to come to terms with the fact that I will probably live out my life never knowing if there were other possibilities out there.  But does this say more about me than I would care to believe?  I have only just asked myself this question as I have wrote to this point.  It has never previously crossed my mind, but should I be satisfied with what I have?  After all, we are incredibly lucky to have not only evolved but to also be at the top of the food chain.  I have a life that is of better quality than anything before and here I am writing a post about still wanting to reach for more.

Having paused for almost 5 minutes whilst pondering what I have just wrote, I am going to chalk this one down to human nature.  It is not within us to just be content.  Set your mind wondering and it will trigger a world of possibilities in your imagination.  I am the happiest I have ever been in my life but I will still continue to look at the stars and wonder.  This is not because I am unsatisfied in life, but because I am a curious little being who lives on a rock that has helped my species evolve to understand, and more importantly, to dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment