Wednesday 4 February 2015

DNA Gene Code



I had been walking to work in the morning and I have to pass through the town market, the traders were busy setting up all of their stalls and one had got a radio on.  Normally I have my earphones in drowning out the world, but today I decided not to bring them with me so on this particular occasion I clearly heard the radio DJ talking. I am usually in a complete world of my own whilst journeying to work and often appear at the entrance with no knowledge of how I got there.  I think this is why the talk on the radio stuck in my head because it is not very often I properly register anything that is going on around me.

I heard the DJ talking about DNA, talking about the letters that make up a DNA code. He went on to say it is because everything is mapped with letters that it could be read easier.  He said a code is just that, a code, and codes are there to be broken and unlocked.  What he was saying obviously makes perfect sense, after all we have made some major discoveries from cracking the Gene Code.

So the code has been mapped and we have everything in front of us, but it still needs to be properly unlocked.  That is when I had a thought, I know this might sound completely ridiculous to some, but if the DNA is just a code then surely the best way is to just hack it. I am not talking about a typical hack like someone gaining access to a server, but may be a hackers mind would be able to see the code from a different perspective.  What if computer hackers could look at the code and see rhythms or patterns that scientists have missed?

In my opinion it would be more than beneficial to have someone who lives and breathes coding to try and help unlock the secrets that are contained within our Genes.  It does not sound so farfetched when you think of it this way, and I am well aware that the knowledge that is needed to study DNA is far greater than I can imagine, but a code to a hacker is just an encryption waiting to be broken.  At the very least we would have a pair of fresh eyes looking at the problem from a different angle.  It might help shed some new light onto it or it may help scientists look at it from another perspective. Sometimes just thinking out of the box can solve the problem, the thought of a hacker looking in to it is surely an idea fetched directly from outside of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment