Tuesday 20 January 2015

To Beard Or Not To Beard?



To beard or not to beard? – that is the question.

Fashion and trends change all of the time.  I have never been a big follower of fashion and I certainly do not stick to any trends.  I like to stand out from the crowd but at the same time not shock.  I like to pick things that I haven’t seen anyone else wearing before but still fit within my usual manly taste.

From an early age I had the luxurious privilege of being able to grow a beard.  I had discovered an amazing ability, I could shave if I needed to catch the bus so I could get on for half fare, and I would grow it if I knew I was going out of an evening so that I could get served at the bar - It was brilliant!

I have always had a shaved head but I started going bald way before my time.  It did not matter to me that my hairline was gradually vanishing because I could sport a proud beard.  The beard quickly became a platform for me to show my individuality.  Most people cut and style their hair but I could cut and style my beard, and I was adventurous.  Various colours and many man hours sculpting and shaving led to a whole catalogue of designs, each one changing the way my face would look.

As I started to get older, the realisation of what a tool I must have looked like began to govern the styles I now chose to go with.  After some consideration I decided I was going to grow my beard long, it had always been something I wanted to do but I used to prefer the variety that could be achieved from shaving and styling.  Of course growing a long beard was nothing new, but it was not commonly seen.

After many months of growing and admiring my new creation on my face I made the decision to cut it all back due to impending job interviews.  Having then landed a new job and settling in well, I think it’s time to grow my beard back.  However, where ever I go there are beards - Beards, beards everywhere. I am no longer that bald guy with the big beard, I am just another face in the crowd.  The beard has become socially acceptable which is great, but it now also appears to be a growing trend and fashionable. 

So the man who doesn’t follow fashion or stick to a trend suddenly looks like he has fully embraced this new wave of beard growing and has jumped upon the wagon for a wild ride.  The truth is, I love my beard, if it means that it looks like I am personally trending then I will have to take it one step further.  I will grow my beard thicker and longer so I no longer look like a beard follower, but a beard leader!!

TO BEARD!

                                                  Hopefully there will never be another instance of the below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment